Vietnam working permit
On 17th June, 2011, Decree No 46/2011/ND/CP, amending and supplementing some articles on the foreign workforce labor working in Vietnam was issued. Under this provision, the Vietnam government made major adjustment in term of work permit for foreigner workforce working in enterprises and organizations in Vietnam.
1. Cases of applying for work permit
According to labor laws and circular No 8 on 29th March, 2000 of the Department of Labor, Invalid and Society, foreigners working for enterprises, agencies, organizations or enterprises with foreign investment in Vietnam must have the work permit, except for the following cases
- Working in Vietnam for less than 3 months
- Members of a company’s board of the corporation created under the regulation of Vietnam government
- Heads of representative offices or branches of international companies in Vietnam
- Lawyers that are given permission by the Vietnamese Department of Justice
2. Requirements for foreign workers applying for work permit
- Aged 18 or older
- Have good heath fit for job requirements
- Have professional qualifications and high technologies
- Have no criminal record in their living country, Vietnam or other countries
3. Requirement Profiles
In order to get a work permit, employers (enterprises) must send a profile to the Labor and Social Welfare Service of the province/city where they are working. Here are list of things they need to prepare
- For an employer( enterprise)
- Work permit application form for foreigners
- A copy of the certificate of business registration, the establishment and operation license, the branch license, and the representative office in Vietnam that is granted by authorized agencies.
- A diploma of authorized agencies allows recruiting foreigners (Decree No 58 /CP, 3rd June 1993).
- A copy of work contract of a term with a Vietnam company or organization.
For a foreign worker
- A Work permit application form in Vietnam
- A Justice Curriculum Vitae is granted by the Department of Justice in Viet Nam or the authorized agencies in foreign countries that he is residing
- A copy of the certificate of professional qualifications: college diploma or its equivalent or higher; or the certificate of skills is granted by his country. If a foreigner is a craftsman without the certificate of skills, he needs to have a self-evaluation in term of professional qualifications confirmed by his country
- Health check from a qualified hospital in province or higher in Vietnam or his country ( at least 6 months validity)
- Curriculum vitae with 3 recently-taken photos( 3×4 cm)
4. Fee and validity of work permit
- Fees :
- For a new applicant: 400.000VND( around 20 USD)
- For a renewal one: 300.000 VND (around 15 USD)
- A work permit’s validity lasts 36 months (3 years). After it comes to an expiry date, foreign workers need to reapply for a renewal one.