New Vietnam Immigration Legislation
New Vietnam Immigration Legislation – In June 14, 2014 Vietnam’s National Assembly revamped the Vietnam immigration system by overhauling visa categories and validity periods, as well as prohibiting conversion of one visa type to another, and setting new entry and exit bans. The new immigration law is scheduled to come into effect by January 1, 2015.
1. The new immigration law restructures Vietnam visa classification system into 20 categories and overhauls the validity periods:
|No||Categories of Visa||Description/ category of applicant entitled to||Duration of Visa||Duration of Temporary Resident Card|
|1||NG1- NG4||Diplomatic||Up to 12 months||Up to 5 years|
|2||LV1- LV2||Working with Vietnamese authorities/ parties||Up to 12 months||Up to 5 years|
|3||ĐT||Investors/ foreign lawyers||Up to 5 years||Up to 5 years|
|4||DN||Working with Vietnamese enterprises||Up to 12 months||NA|
|5||NN1- NN2||Chief Representative Office, Head of Project Office of foreign NGO, Chief rep of offices in VN||Up to 12 months||Up to 3 years|
|6||NN3||Staffs of NGO, Rep office in VN||Up to 12 months||NA|
|7||DH||Students/ interns||Up to 12 months||Up to 5 years|
|8||HN||Attending meeting||Up to 3 months||NA|
|9||PV1||Journalists with permanent residence||Up to 12 months||Up to 2 years|
|10||PV2||Journalists with permanent residence in VN||Up to 12 months||NA|
|11||LĐ||Foreign workers||Up to 2 years||Up to 2 years|
|12||DL||Tourists||Up to 3 months||NA|
|13||TT||Dependents of 2,3,5,7,9,11||Up to 12 months||Up to 3 years|
|14||VR||Visiting relatives, other purpose||Up to 6 months||NA|
|15||SQ||Related to MOF, Consulate with the purpose of market research, visiting relatives, tourist, medical treatment||Up to 30 days||NA|
2. According to article 7, point 1, the new immigration procedures will prohibits visa holders in Vietnam from converting their visa category to another while in Vietnam. Visa holders wishing to change their status need leave the country and apply for the new visa category from a Vietnamese consulate abroad.
3. New prohibited conditions for Entry and Departure.
a. Prohibited conditions for entrance: Foreign nationals residing in Vietnam will also be prohibited from entering the country in the following cases
- Any person that has been deported from Vietnam within the past 10 years.
- Any person that has presented false information or forged documents in connection with obtaining Vietnamese immigration status
- Children under the age of 14 who are traveling without an accompanying parent or guardian
b. Prohibited conditions for exit: Foreign nationals residing in Vietnam will also be prohibited from departing the country in the following cases:
- Any person that has not fulfilled their required tax obligations in Vietnam
- Any person that is facing an administrative sanction
- Any person that is charged with a crime or are party to judical proceedings